Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Picture Book Monday - A review of Whimsy's Heavy Things

Most of us have days when we are weighed down by problems and by life's challenges. At such times we tend to feel worn out, frustrated, and at a loss. The little girl in this picture book is in just such a pickle and she has no idea what to do about it. At first.

Though this is a picture book for children, the ideas it conveys will resonate with anyone who is feeling weighed down and confused. 

Julie Kraulis
Picture Book
For ages 6 and up
Tundra Books, 2013, 978-1-77049-403-9
Whimsy has four heavy things that are “weighing her down,” and she has got to the point where she realizes that she has to do something. She cannot go on like this. Whimsy’s first impulse is to try to hide her heavy things, so she sweeps them under the rug in the hallway. She soon finds out that this solution is not going to work because the heavy things trip her up.
   Whimsy then tries placing her heavy things in a bucket and she hangs the bucket from a tree branch. The heavy things are so heavy that they break the branch they are hanging from and land on her. They are too heavy to be carried away by a flying kite, and they are so heavy they sink in the sea and Whimsy stubs her toe on them when she goes swimming. In desperation, Whimsy tries to pretend that her heavy things are not there, but that does not work either. She feels heavier and sadder than ever.
    Many of us, at some point, are weighed down by problems, fears, or worries. These “heavy things” prevent us from enjoying life, and like Whimsy we often try to find ways to rid ourselves of our burdens. In this unique picture book the author explores the idea that there is a very simple solution to just such a problem, a solution that requires only one thing: creativity.
  With wonderful artwork and a universal message that readers of all ages can appreciate, this is a picture book that readers will enjoy reading again and again.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share