Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Poetry Friday - A Review of Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars

I have reviewed many of Douglas Florian's splendid  poetry picture books and have enjoyed them all, but I think today's book is one of his best. The artwork is perfectly paired with a wide variety of poetry forms and you never quite know what is coming next.

Douglas Florian
Poetry Picture Book
For ages 5 to 8
Harcourt, 2007, 978-0-15-205372-7
For centuries humans have looked up into the night sky and they have wondered about the stars, the moon, the Milky Way and the other celestial marvels that they could see with their eyes. Then telescopes were invented and people began to appreciate how immense the universe is. Stars and planets have helped guide people across lands and seas, and they have inspired artists, musicians and writers to describe them in paint, notes, and words. In this beautiful poetry picture book Douglas Florian takes us up into the heavens to explore.
   We begin our journey with a poem that looks at the big picture. It invites and encourages us to “Skywatch.” As we look up we may see “a planet or / A flash of light from a meteor.” We can use a constellation chart so that we can “tell the stars apart.”
  In the next poem the poet (and illustrator) ruminates on the hugeness and everythingness of the universe. It is “every place” and includes all the “empty space.” We are all a part of the universe, every “cat and dog and bumblebee.”
   A galaxy is a large collection of stars. They come in all shapes and sizes. Some are spirals, some are egg-shaped, and some are flat. The one thing that they have in common is that they all have “stars, and stars, and stars.”
   After looking at the spiraling words of the galaxy poem we move on to the solar system, the sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth and other planets. We go to the moon, find out about asteroids and “planetoids,” a comet, the constellations, and a black hole. Finally we think about “the great beyond.” The author tells us how he could tell us so much more, but he has “run out of space.”
   With unique artwork, die cut features on the pages, and wonderful poems, this celebration of the heavens will delight children who are interested in space.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share