Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Poetry Friday - Polar Bear, Arctic Hare: Poems of the Frozen North

One of my favorite children's book writers is Eileen Spinelli. Not only does she write charming picture books, but she is also a gifted poet. For today's poetry title I have a review of one of her books of poetry for young readers.

Eileen Spinelli
Illustrator:  Eugenie Fernandes
Poetry Picture Book
For ages 4 to 8
Boyds Mills Press, 2007, 978-1590783443
When polar bear cubs come out their den in the spring,there are so many things to look at and so many places to explore. There are Arctic bumblebees to sniff at and hopefully not get stung by. There are Arctic terns to watch as they wheel "wings unfurled" and "chasing summer" in the blue skies above. As the summer advances, the sun "plays the part of the moon" refusing to go to bed at night and shining gently on the blooming yellow arctic poppies.
   Though this is clearly a place of extremes, all kinds of animals call the arctic their home. There are herds of "thrumming and drumming" caribou racing across the tundra. Tiny lemmings hide in the snow as large smiling beluga whales slide beneath the ice.
   Using a variety of poetic forms Eileen Spinelli beautifully captures in words the splendor and variety of life that can be found in the "frozen north." Readers will find themselves smiling at some of the poems with their lively and colorful rhymes. Some of the  more thought-provoking poems will capture the imagination, and readers may begin to wonder what it would be like to see a summer Arctic sun, or what it would be like to listen to a choir of wolves howling at an Arctic moon.

1 comment:

Someone said...

i have read this before!
poetry

Bookmark and Share