Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and ninteen

When you are little it is very tiresome to discover that you really are too little to do some of the things that you want to do. What a bore! The main character in today's picture book is in just such a situation and he is thoroughly fed up with it. Thankfully he discovers that there are some things that even a very little person (or a very little pig) can do, and do well. 

David Hyde Costello
Picture book
For ages 4 to 6
Charlesbridge, 2011, 978-1-58089-264-3
   Little Pig does not like being little, nor does he like being called Little Pig. He has a perfectly good name that no one uses. Why doesn’t anyone call him Jacob?
   When Little Pig goes to Grandpa’s house Grandpa gets out his old marching-band instruments. Little pig tries to play the drums, but he is too short to manage it. He is also too little to play the trombone, the trumpet, or the tuba. His siblings Margie, Peter, Sally, and Tiny have no trouble playing the instruments, and poor Little Pig feels very left out. Though the older pig children can play the instruments, they do have one big problem. They cannot successfully play together like a proper band. Perhaps Little Pig has a role he can play after all.
   Being the littlest child (or piglet) can be a trial. You so often get left out of all the fun because you are “too little,” and no one considers that you too can be a part of whatever is going on. Little children will therefore appreciate the fact that in this book, at least, the littlest child (piglet) finally gets his due.
   With clever illustrations, tongue in cheek word puns, and a charming main character, this is a picture book that is sure to become a firm favorite with young children. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share