Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and thirty-seven

Tacky the penguin is one of those picture book characters who very quickly endears himself to you. He is hopeless when it comes to being an upright dignified penguin, and we love him for it. Today I have another Tacky adventure that is funny and that conveys an important message at the same time. 

Helen Lester
Illustrated by Lynn Munsinger
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 7
Houghton Mifflin, 1994, 978-0-395-66841-2
   Far away in a “nice icy land” there are six young penguins who go to school so that they can learn how to read, how to write, and how to do math. Five of the penguins are neat, tidy, well behaved, and properly proper. The sixth penguin is called Tacky, and he is the most bumbling, clumsy, messy, and ridiculous penguin you have ever seen.
   One day the six penguins see a sign that invites all penguins to enter the Penguin Cheering Contest. The winning team will win “shiny blue bow ties!” There and then the six penguins decide that they have to try to win the contest.
   When the five neat, tidy, and proper penguins try their routine after school, they execute their cheer perfectly the very first time. Then Tacky joins them and when he tries the routine, he flubs it. The other penguins tell him that if he wants to be on the team he has to “be exactly like the rest of us.” This sounds easy enough, but for Tacky moving with a “stiff upper beak” is challenging. To say the least.
   By working extra hard, Tacky finally manages to execute the cheer, but there is a very real concern that Tacky is going to mess up their performance at the Penguin Cheering Contest.
   Tacky is one of those book characters whom you cannot help liking. With his scruffy appearance, his goofy antics, and his laugh-out-loud funny mistakes, Tacky is the kind of underdog…er…underpenguin who will win you over every time.
   In this Tacky the penguin title, Helen Lester’s clever text is perfectly paired with Lynn Munsinger’s delightfully funny illustrations. By the end of the story, readers who have not yet met Tacky will be his fans.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share