Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and thirty-two

One of the downsides of going on vacation is having to adjust to being back at home after the vacation is over. The gloriously free days are gone, and once again there is work to be done, errands to run, and chores to do. Imagine what it would be like if you were gone on a vacation that lasted millions of years. Coming home would be rather a shock to the system!

Joe Kulka
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Lerner, 2010, 978-0-7613-5212-9
   I imagine that you are one of those people who think the dinosaurs are extinct, right? Well, I am here to tell you that you are wrong. Long ago they left Earth to go on a “cruise” on an alien spaceship, and ever since they have been having a great time visiting distant planets and seeing the sights.
   Now they are back, and it is time for them to “settle back in” to everyday life. How will they manage on a planet that has changed so much since they were last here? Will they be able to adjust to being in everyday mode after being on vacation for so long?
   Children who have a fondness for dinosaurs are sure to enjoy this clever picture book with its amusing rhyming text and its colorful and expressive illustrations. What would you do if a brachiosaurus moved in next door?

No comments:

Bookmark and Share