Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and sixteen

Not many people go for rides in the country anymore, which is rather a shame In today's picture book you can take a little drive with Mr. Gumpy and his friends, and enjoy a simple adventure that is amusing and very satisfying as well. 

John Burningham
Picture book and CD
For ages 4 to 6
Random House UK, 2011, 978-1-849-41285-8
   Mr. Gumpy is going for a drive in his motor car. It is a lovely day and when they see him drive by, the children, the rabbit, the cat, the dog, the pig, the sheep, the chickens, the calf and the goat all ask if they too can go for a drive too. Even though it is going to be “a squash,” Mr. Gumpy agrees to take everyone with him.
   For a while, the trip is perfect. The sun is shining, the sky is blue, and Mr. Gumpy decides to drive down a cart-track. Unfortunately, the weather suddenly changes. It begins to rain and Mr. Gumpy has to hop out of the car to put up the hood. The road gets more and more muddy and the car starts to slip and slide as the wheels spin. Somebody is going to have to get out of the car to push it. The thing is that no one wants to get out in the rain and mud. What are they going to do?
   In this entertaining and amusing picture book, John Burningham shows to great effect that there are times when everyone has to pitch in to help, even if they don’t want to.
   For children who like to listen to stories, this title includes a CD. Sylvester McCoy narrates the story, and his narrative is accompanied by music and sound effects. 

1 comment:

June said...

This book is one of my old time favourites.

Bookmark and Share