Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and forty

Many dog owners love to take their dogs with them when they go on trips to the beach or to a park, and they often get quite irate when they arrive at their destination only to see a large NO DOGS ALLOWED sign posted next to the parking lot. What are they supposed to do now?

In this delightful picture book you will see how one very large family solves this problem in a unique and very loving way.

Sonia Manzano
Illustrated by Jon J. Muth
Picture Book
Ages 5 to 7
Simon and Schuster, 2004, 0-689-83088-2
   Iris is a seven year old and she lives in the Bronx in New York City with her Mami, her Papi, her big sister Shorty, and her dog El Exigente. One day the family decides to go to the “Enchanted State Park,” and so they get up very early, pack up enough food for a small army, and meet up with all the friends and relatives who are going with them. Everyone is taking something, except El Exigente, who is just taking himself.
   Soon a convoy of cars is heading for the state park. Papi’s car breaks down and then they get lost, but eventually they get to their destination. Iris is super excited to go “jumping in the Enchanted Lake and getting some enchanted sun and eating some enchanted lunch and taking an enchanted nap…” and so on. Then Shorty sees a big sign that says: NO DOGS ALLOWED! What are they going to do? Are they going to have to go home after that long drive just because someone decided that poor El Exigente and his fellow dogs are not allowed in the park?
   This deliciously funny picture book beautifully captures the warmth of a Hispanic family during a day trip to a lake. The names Ivy gives her relatives, her exaggerations, and the way in which they all deal with the NO DOGS ALLOWED sign is priceless. Readers will find themselves envying Ivy for her colorful and loving family.
   

No comments:

Bookmark and Share