Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and thirty-three

Sometimes strong friendships develop between two individuals who are very different. Technically speaking they have nothing in common, and yet they get along famously all the same. In today's picture book you will meet a little girl who becomes great friends with a sea serpent. Their friendship not only enriches the little girl's life, but it also helps her to learn an important lesson about friendship and sacrifice..


Dashka Slater
Illustrated by Catia Chien
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Houghton Mifflin, 2008, 978-0618-723942
   One day a little girl is just about to have a bath in the bathtub when a very small sea serpent drops out of the faucet and into the tub. Soon the girl and the little sea serpent are having the time of their life playing together in the water. After their bath is over, the little girl puts the sea serpent into an aquarium and he tells her how he came to end up in her bath. He also tells her that he misses the sea and she promises to take him back.
   For the next few days it rains, and the little girl puts off taking the sea serpent to the beach. She enjoys his company so much, though she does notice that he is growing at a remarkable rate. In fact, in no time at all he is too big for the aquarium and has to be kept in the bathtub. It soon becomes clear that the little girl can no longer keep her friend in her house. He has to go back to the sea where he belongs.
   This charming picture book tells the story of a friendship that crosses great boundaries and that becomes very strong in just a short period of time. Readers will be touched when they see how the two young ones struggle to let go, and how the little girl finally finds the courage to do what needs to be done.
   With delightfully playful illustrations and two delightful main characters, this is a picture book that is a celebration of true friendship.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share