Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, August 12, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and twenty-four

The scenario in today's picture book will be very familiar to grownups who have a child in their lives. I don't want to say more because then I will give away too much. Suffice it to say that today's story is sweet and funny and a must read for teachers, parents, grandparents, and other people who take care of children. 

Paul Friester
Illustrated by Philippe Goossens
Picture Book
For ages 3 to 6
NorthSouth, 2011, 978-0-7358-4017-1
   One afternoon all the animals in the forest heard a dreadful “Hoo…Hoo…” noise. The little hedgehog bravely ventured out to find out who was making the noise and he found a little owl standing on the ground “howling miserably.” The hedgehog asked the little owl if she had fallen out of her nest, but the youngster shook her head and “kept on howling.”
   One by one the other animals in the forest try to find out what is distressing the little owl. The crow offers to play with her, the squirrel brings her a nut to eat, the mole gives the owl “something nice.” The stag beetle even threatens to “nip” the owl in the bottom because she is being naughty. Not surprisingly, this only makes the owl howl “even louder.” What on earth can be the matter with the little bird?
   Children are sure to love this cleverly crafted picture book, where the narrative keeps them guessing and guessing until, at last, the little owl speaks. What she says is sure to make children and their grownups laugh out loud.
   This title is part of a collection of picture books called Tuff Books that have tear-resistant and easy-to-clean pages so that toddlers can explore them without being able to damage them. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share