Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Cybils Winners!


For months now I have been eagerly waiting for the titles that were nominated for the Cybils Awards to be read and discussed by the judges. Now the final winners of the Cybils awards have been announced. The titles chosen are the following:

Easy Readers: I love my new toy by Mo Willems

Fantasy and Sci-Fi (Middle Grade): The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Fantasy and Sci-Fi (Young Adult): Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Picture Book (Fiction): How to Heal a Broken Wing by Bob Graham

Picture Book (Non-Fiction): Nic Bishop Frogs by Nic Bishop

Graphic Novel (Elementary/Middle Grade) - Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale and Dean Hale

Graphic Novel (Young Adult) - Emiko Superstar by Mariko Tamaki

Fiction (Middle Grade): The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

Fiction (Young Adult): The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Middle Grade/Young Adult Non-Fiction: The Year we disappeared: A Father-Doughter Memoir by Cylin Busby

Poetry: Honeybee by Naomi Shihab Nye
What a fantastic collection of titles. To find out more about these books and to read some reviews go to the Cybils Webpage. I will endeavor to read and review as many of these books as I can over the next few months.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share