Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

When I was growing up I loved comic books of all kinds. I was living on a tiny island in the Mediterranean at the time, and I eagerly devoured Snoopy books, Mickey Mouse magazines, Beano Annuals, and others. Then there was Tintin, followed by the Asterix books, which I read in English or Greek or French - depending on who gave me the book.

Now comic books are harder to find. Instead there are graphic novels. Of course this genre has been around for years, but it only recently started to make an appearance in the children's book world in the west. I am an eager follower of Babymouse and other titles of this kind, and look forward to reading and reviewing a lot more graphic novel titles in the future.

I have something to share with those of you enjoy books in this genre - and who dabble in this art form. There is a fantastic website called Get Graphic. On this site teachers can find out how to incorporate graphic novels into their teaching, and young people can participate in contests. There is a blog, reviews, and much more. Take a look and enjoy!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share