Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, August 28, 2009

The Kennedys and their legacy to the world of children's literature

This morning I was listening to the radio, and I heard about how people from all over the country are going to pay their respects to the late Senator Edward Kennedy. Many of people stood in lines for hours outside the Kennedy Library in Boston to say goodbye to a man who worked so hard to help the American people. Many of the visitors were astonished when family members came out to shake their hands and to thank them for being there. This gesture touched many hearts and it reminded me that the Kennedys were, and are, a very special family.

We know about John, Robert, and Edward and their service to the country in the political arena, but many of us don't know that the Kennedy's have also given the world of children's literature some wonderful books. Caroline Kennedy gave us A Family of Poems: My favorite poetry. Robert F. Kennedy Junior wrote Saint Francis of Assisi: A life of Joy, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.'s American Heroes: Robert Smalls, the Boat Thief , and more recently Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s American Heroes: The Story of Joshua Chamberlain and the American Civil War. Maria Shriver has also written several books for children including What's wrong with Timmy? In 2006 Edward Kennedy wrote a children's book, My Senator and Me: A dog's eye view of Washington, D.C. I will be reviewing this latter title very soon.

I hope you get the opportunity to take a look at some of these books. Caroline Kennedy's collection of poems is especially wonderful. It is a book that readers of all ages will enjoy.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share