Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, May 3, 2010

The new issue of Through the Looking Glass is now online



The May and June 2010 issue of Through the Looking Glass Children’s Book Reviews is now online. I hope that you enjoy this issue and find lots of books that interest you.  

For this May and June issue I have chosen to focus on books about farms and farm life for the special feature.  Young children in particular love to learn about farm animals, to explore life on a farm, and to read stories about what it is like to live on a farm. The In the garden feature also ties in with the farm feature, exploring books that look at gardens and gardening.

May and June are the months when summer finally makes itself felt. Winter coats and sweaters are put into boxes or are tucked away on high shelves, and bathing suits are tried on to see if they still fit. The sun is warm, and children are happy to spend their play time out of doors. There is a delightful collection of books about summer on the Summer Days page, with books for readers of all ages. Of course, if you live in the southern hemisphere you might prefer to look at our Winter Days feature!

For this month’s Editor’s Choice title I selected The Story of Cirrus Flux written by Matthew Skelton. Matthew wrote Endymion Spring a few years ago, and he is definitely an author to watch in the years to come.


-:Bookish Events for May and June:-

May 12th to 18th is Reading is Fun Week (USA)
Children's Book Week is May 10th to 16th (USA)

I hope you find a way to celebrate some, if not all, of these bookish events. If I have missed an important bookish event, please drop me a line to tell me about it.

Don’t forget to look at the Bookish Calendar page for reviews about Walt Whitman, hurricanes, fairies, Anne Frank and much more. This calendar is a great tool to use at home and in the classroom to help children incorporate books more fully into their lives.

At the beginning of this year, I launched the new website, and all the new content for every issue is on this new website. However, a large part of the old content is still on the old site. You can still get to this content, but it is not integrated into the new site. Moving the 4,000 reviews over is going to take some time, and I appreciate your patience while I work on this. 

I hope you enjoy this new issue, and I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share