Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Thirty-Four

Adjusting to a change can sometimes be hard. I, for one, do not like it when my plans for the day are upset in some way. In today's picture book you will meet a dog who is not at all happy when his person upsets a schedule that he feels should be sacrosanct. 

Carter Goodrich
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 8
Simon and Schuster, 2011, 978-1-4169-3893-4
   Mister Bud the dog has a good life. He has his own toys, bed, and bowl, and he has a schedule that he is very happy with. Mr. Bud is determined that everybody is going stick to “the schedule” with “no exceptions.”
   Then, one day Mr. Bud’s person comes home and the schedule is thrown into a state of chaos. Mr. Bud’s person has committed a major faux pas, she has brought home Zorro, another dog! Not surprisingly, Mr. Bud is very unhappy to see Zorro. How can his person honestly say, “you two get along.” What is she thinking? Mr. Bud is often grumpy, and Zorro can be very bossy. What on earth is Mr. Bud going to do? Will his life every be normal again?
   Getting used to change is never easy, and children and adults alike will laugh out loud as they watch Zorro and Mr. Bud come to terms with the changes in their lives. They will see how change can actually be a good thing, even if adjustments have to be made. Dog lovers will quickly come to recognize elements of their own dog (or dogs) in these two thoroughly loveable pooches.


No comments:

Bookmark and Share