Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Forty-One

If you are different in some way, life can be a bit of a trial. While people laugh at you, or make fun or you, or avoid you, you have to do your best to hold your head high. All you can do is hope that there are people out there who will like you for who you are, and who will happily accept and perhaps even embrace, your differentness.

In today's picture book you will meet two young people who both have something about them that is different. The message the story conveys is universal, and it is also a love story, so it would make a splendid Valentine's Day gift.

Nancy Gow
Ten Big Toes and a Prince's NoseIllustrated by Stephen Constanza
Picture book
For ages 6 to 8
Sterling, 2010, 978-1-4027-6396-0
   Once upon a time there was a princess who was lovely, she had a voice “like honey,” and “her smile was soft and sweet.” Unfortunately, this delightful young lady had enormous feet, and when young princes came to court her, the sight of her feet scared them off. Because her feet “were the first thing they’d see,” the princes did not even wait to find out how “charming” the princess was. They would dismiss her without even making the effort to find out what a wonderful person she was.
   Not far away, a prince lived in a castle and this “charming” and “kind” fellow was perfect in every way except that he had “a nose like a barn.” Princesses who met him would not even give him a chance, because all they noticed were his “gigantic” nose.
   Luckily, the princess with the big feet and the prince with the big nose had wise parents who counseled them to always be themselves and to accept that “I am what I am and that’s all right with me.”
   In this delightful picture book, we meet two young people whose confidence in who they are is tested because the are different. Despite being rejected by others, the prince and the princess stay true to who they are, and in the end they find the love happiness they are looking for.
   With beautiful full-page illustrations throughout, a clever rhyming text that is touched with humor, and a meaningful message about self love and confidence, this is a picture book that should be on every classroom and library shelf. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share