Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Children's literature enriches the lives of adult readers

Some years ago my daughter gave me the book What the Dormouse said: Lessons for grownups from Children's Books. The marvelous Judith Viorst, a famous children's book author, wrote the forward for the book, and in it she says: 

"In my editing days...the children's book department was the patronized kid sister of the far more important, and self important, adult book department, where, it was deemed, the serious action took place. I didn't - and don't - accept this point of view. 
   For I've always believed that, at their best, the language and art of books for children are as good as it gets. At their best, the subjects treated in these books include almost all our central human concerns. At their best children's books offer insights we'll want to remember and ponder and savor and learn and revel in."

I completely agree with this. I believe children's literature is a gift for readers of all ages,  which is why I am writing these posts. Now, more than ever, we need children's literature in our lives so that we remember how to see the world through eyes full of wonder, how to think about at least "six impossible things before breakfast," and how to reclaim some of the virtues of our younger selves.

   I can remember how excited my child self was when I was able to progress from picture books and simple little chapter books to hefty novels. It was a rite of passage for me, and I was so proud on the day when I left the library with a stack of books that had not come from the children's section. At this point in our lives we are all so eager to do the next 'big thing' that comes with growing up; "onward and upward" is our rallying cry. We set aside the 'babyish' things that we loved, eager to embrace the things that are for people who are bigger and older.

   Unfortunately, this can mean that we set aside books that, though they were written for children, have an ageless quality. I know of many people who still love to read the Winnie the Pooh books, particularly in hard times. The sweet humor and gentle wisdom that lies within the Pooh stories can be very healing for a hurt, weary, or anxious adult heart. Often adults are reluctant to admit that Pooh still has the power to delight them because they feel that an adult should only be reading books that are written for adults. 

   Let us set this idea aside, my friends. Childhood favorites such as The Wind in the Willows, The Secret Garden, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, Sarah Plain and Tall, Wishtree, Redwall, Harry Potter, and James and the Giant Peach offer us adults a reprieve from our busy and often stressful lives. Some convey a truth, or several truths, that we need to be reminded of. Others make us laugh and lift us up with their extraordinary language.

   The books that I will be telling you about in this blog are books for children AND adults. In some cases adults will enjoy a book I mention as they read it to a child, and talk about the subject matter with that child. Adults will learn something new or will be reminded of something important that they have forgotten.

   In other cases adults will enjoy reading the books I talk about on their own, for themselves. In these books adults will go on adventures with marvelous characters, they will learn about remarkable people, they will revel in language that is rich and emotive. 
   

No comments:

Bookmark and Share