Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, January 24, 2022

Classics Monday with a review of Redwall, one of the greatest fantasy books written for readers of all ages

 

I first read Redwall when I was in my early thirties, and it quite took my breath away. I think what drew me to it the most were the characters. Some filled me with admiration, others made me laugh, and still others filled me with revulsion. My emotional reaction to the mice, hares, moles, rats, and other creatures was very strong indeed. On top of this the food described in the book sounded so delicious!
   I had never read a book like Redwall, and I proceeded to voraciously read the rest of the books in the collection. Once I had caught up, I, like so many other Redwall devotees, eagerly waited for the author, Brian Jacques, to write the next book in the series. Altogether Brian wrote twenty-two and two picture books. The twenty-second, and final, novel, The Rogue Crew was posthumously released on the third of  May in 2011, almost three months after Jacques' death on the fifth February. He is greatly missed. 

Fiction 
For ages 12 and up
Penguin, 2002, 978-0142302378
Matthias, a novice mouse at Redwall Abbey, dreams of becoming a warrior like the great Redwall hero, Martin the Warrior. Abbot Mortimer tells his young charge that the "day of the warrior is gone" and that Matthias has to learn how to live a different, peaceful sort of life; he must accept, with good grace and humility, the simple jobs that are given to him. Poor, clumsy and dreamy Matthias, who is not in the least a warrior-type of mouse, cannot help wishing that things were otherwise.
   Then one day the Abbot and his Redwall creatures discover that those times are not gone after all. As Redwall bakes in the warmth of the summer sun, Cluny the Scourge with his horde of rats arrives in Mossflower. As soon as Cluny sees Redwall he decides that he must have the great abbey for himself. It would make a perfect headquarters for his vicious gang, and a stately and impressive residence for an animal who intends to rule over the whole country of Mossflower.
   Suddenly, and with little time to prepare, the peaceful animals of Redwall have to adopt a new way of life. They have to learn how to fight and how to scheme. They have to do everything that they can to protect Redwall and  keep the mice, squirrels and other creatures that live there safe from harm.
   To the astonishment of all, including himself, Matthias steps easily out of his role as a bumbling novice and into a new role as champion of Redwall. As Cluny tries to find ways to get into Redwall, Matthias seeks the legendary sword of Martin, sure in his heart that once he has the sword he will truly be Martin's heir and will be able to protect his home and his friends.
   Packed with gripping action, riddles, and mysteries, this first book in the Redwall series is sure to whet the appetite of the reader. The characters are rich, and so vivid that the reader begins to feel as if they are friends, or enemies, as the case may be. Among others we meet moles who speak in an endearing dialect; a hare who eats more than anyone else imagines is possible; a sparrow who has great courage and ferocity; and a mouse who never gives up.
   Set in a world filled with animal characters, in a time when one has to live off the land, and fend off enemies, to survive, this is a fantasy title that offers readers a memorable reading experience.





No comments:

Bookmark and Share