Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Five days of Seasonal and Holiday book giveaways - Day Two

I am sure that one of the most popular gifts to give children at this time of year are teddy bears. For us humans it is really quite easy to go out and buy a teddy bear. We can even order one on the Internet. For a little wolf, trying to find out where teddy bears come from is not so easy. If you would like to enter this giveaway, please email me.


Mark Burgess
Illustrated by Russell Ayto
Picture Book
Ages 5 to 7
Peachtree Publishers, 2008, 978-1-56145-487-7
It is a cold winter’s night, and all the animals in the dark forest are slumbering in their beds. Except for a little wolf who cannot seem to fall asleep. Even after a glass of milk, a cuddle, and a teddy bear story, the little wolf is wide awake. In the morning, the little wolf decides that what he needs is a teddy bear. A teddy bear will surely help him sleep soundly every night.
   Though his mother is a wonderful cuddler and reader of stories, she has no idea where “teddy bears come from,” so she suggests that her son should go and ask Wise Owl for his advice. Carrying a picnic lunch packed by his loving mother, the little wolf sets off through the snowy forest to ask Wise Owl where teddy bears come from.
   Unfortunately, Wise Owl has no trouble sleeping, and he has no idea where teddy bears come from. The sleepy bird suggests that the little wolf should ask the Three Little Pigs if they know the answer to question.
   This delightful picture book, with its unique multimedia illustrations, will charm young readers who appreciate the importance of having a teddy bear to sleep with every night. Children will enjoy seeing all the characters the little wolf visits as he tries to find out, once and for all, where he can find a teddy bear. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share