Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Five days of Seasonal and Holiday book giveaways - Day Four

Today's giveaway is a prefect gift for a child who is beginning to doubt that Santa exists. If you would like to enter this giveaway, please email me.

Marie-Aude Murail and Elvire Murail
Illustrated by Quentin Blake
Picture Book
Ages 8 to 12
Peachtree, 2003, 156145319-6
    Julian thinks that it is about time for him to stop writing letters to Santa. After all, isn’t he getting a little too old for Santa now? But his parents seem keen on the whole Santa business, so Julian writes to Santa asking for a really expensive present – a fancy video game system.
   On Christmas Day Julian finds that he has been given his requested gift, but he has also been given something else, a small wooden train. It would seem that Santa accidentally dropped the train when he visited the house on Christmas Eve. Julian soon figures out that the train is very special indeed (magical even) and he becomes quite devoted to it. In fact he seems to prefer the train to the state-of-the-art video gaming system.
   There is a problem though, for if the little train was lost, it can only really belong to Julian if he keeps it for a year and a day after he found it. What if Santa wants the train back? Julian puzzles and puzzles about what he can do to convince Santa not to reclaim the train that he has become so fond of.
   For all those youngsters who are beginning to doubt the Santa really exists, this wonderful little book, with its quirky illustrations, is a gift and a treasure. They will see that it is wise not to doubt the magic of Christmas, for you do you may miss out on something truly special.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share