Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book One

Willow and the Snow Day DanceHappy New Year and welcome to the first day of the TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration. A few years ago I reviewed a book called Willow, which charmed me. I was therefore delighted to find out that the author and illustrator who created Willow have worked together again to bring us another book featuring their delight main character. Here is my review of this new title. 

Denise Brennan-Nelson
Illustrated by Cyd Moore
Picture Book
Ages 5 to 8
Sleeping Bear Press, 2011, 978-1-58536-522-7
   Willow has just moved to her new home, and she wastes no time getting busy. Soon Willow and her mother are planting a garden, but then they discover that they don’t have enough plants to fill their garden space. Willow decides to write to her neighbors. She asks them if they can help her fill her garden by donating a plant or two.
   By summertime, Willow’s garden is flourishing, and she delivers flowers to all her neighbors, including Mr. Larch, who lives next door. Mr. Larch is old, crabby, unneighborly, and anti-social, but Willow doesn’t know this. She takes him flowers anyway, and she asks him and all the other neighbors if they have any “scraps” to donate for her garden art projects. Soon her garden is full of old junk that Willow turns into interesting works of art.
   In the fall, Willow shares the vegetables from her garden with all the neighbors, including Mr. Larch, and she asks everyone to donate to the annual hat and mitten drive at her school. Can it be that Mr. Larch’s cold heart is starting to thaw, warmed by Willow’s friendship?
  This delightful book brings back the character who charmed readers in Willow. Once again, the little girl with the wild hair shows readers how a little creativity and a big heart can make the world a much happier place. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share