Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and eighty-four

I love word picture books. When I was little, the best books of this kind were created by Richard Scarry. I probably learned a large portion of my childhood vocabulary thanks to Huckle the Cat and his friends. These days many authors and illustrators are creating splendid word books. Today I have one that focuses on vacation-related words. Children who are going to be going on their own vacations this summer will surely enjoy looking through this title, and it would be a great book to tuck into a backpack for a long car, train, or airplane ride.


Heloise Antoine
Illustrated by Ingrid Godon
Picture book
For ages 5 to 7
Peachtree Publishers, 1997, 1-56145-143-6
   It is time to go on a vacation, and the members of the Curious family are getting ready for their trip. What should they take and how much can they fit into their suitcases and bags? The little girl packs Bobo her stuffed bunny, and the little boy wants to take his tape player along.
   After Mom and Dad get the car all loaded up, they set off.  There are lots of things to look at as they drive down the highway. The children look out of the windows and see signs, traffic lights, tollbooths, and vehicles of all kinds.
   Here are the twins with their grandparents, having a picnic in the countryside. Grandpa has brought a fishing rod, the little boy has picked some flowers, and Grandma is laying out the food and drink on a blanket in the grass.
   This is just the beginning of their adventures because the twins are going to travel on a train, they are going to go to the beach, and they are going to go on a ferry. They will also go camping, they will visit the mountains, they will go to an airport, and they will try to find something to do on a rainy day.
   In this wonderful word book, young readers can follow the adventures of twins as they go on vacation with their family. On every page, a central illustration is surrounded by small pictures of things that relate to the theme on that page. For example on the camping page, we see pictures of a crescent moon, a camp stove, a cooler, a camper, an ant, and backpacks. Each little picture is labeled with its name. Children who cannot read yet can practice remembering the names of the things that they see on the pages, and children who can read can practice reading the name labels for themselves. Readers will be delighted to discover that some objects appear on every double page spread.
   This is one in a series of word picture books featuring the Curious Kids. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share