Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and eight

One of the things that attracts me to picture books is the artwork. These days illustrators are so creative, coming up with so many different ways to create illustrations that are unique and interesting, beautiful and amusing. Meomi, a husband and wife team, create wonderful illustrations that are kooky and full of details, which is one of the reasons why I like their books so much. I also think their characters are charming, and the adventures that they have are delightfully odd.  

Meomi
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Immedium, 2007, 978-1-59702-010-7
   It is a quiet day in the sea, and the Octonauts are all busy. All except Tweak, who is in a state of panic. Tweak tells his fellow crew members that shadows are disappearing. Professor inkling explains that something must be wrong in the Sea of Shade. This is where King Shade, the king who controls all the shadows in the world, lives. The Octonauts must visit him at once to find out what is going on.
   Quickly the Octonauts pack up their submarine and they carefully travel down a deep rift to where the entrance to the Olde Fangled Caves lies. The Octonauts get very disoriented because they cannot tell if they are upside down or right side up. It takes them days to find the way out, but they finally manage it and emerge in a very grim looking place where everything is gray. The travelers see “shadows hiding behind plants and lurking in the corners,” and it is clear as day that something is very wrong in the Sea of Shade.
   In this delightful Octonauts title, children are once again able to take a unique journey with Meomi’s intrepid animal characters who take readers to strange, often beautiful, and sometimes frightening places. With incredibly detailed illustrations full of bizarre and wonderful characters, this book is sure to appeal to a wide variety of readers. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share