Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and eighty-six

Learning to give up something you want or something you have for the sake of another person is a hard lesson to learn for anyone. For young children it is particularly difficult. In today's picture book one of my favorite picture book characters, Alfie, gives up something he is very attached to to help a friend in need. It is a very sweet and warm story.


Shirley Hughes
Picture Book With CD
For ages 4 to 6
Random House UK, 2010, 978-1-862-30990-6
   One day Alfie comes home from nursery school carrying an envelope that has his name on it. Alfie’s mother explains that the card inside the envelope is an invitation inviting Alfie to Bernard’s birthday party. Alfie is very excited because he has never been to a birthday party before.
   Before the party, Alfie gets clean and all dressed up. He gets a little anxious when his mother explains that she and his little sister Annie Rose will not be at the party. To make himself feel better, Alfie gets his old blanket and he insists on taking it with him to the party.
   At the party, Alfie sees Bernard and his other friends from nursery school. He refuses to put his blanket down so he has a hard time playing with the others. He even carries his blanket to the tea table and as a result, his blanket gets awfully dirty.
   Throughout the party, Bernard the birthday boy is rather obnoxious, and after the tea he puts on a tiger mask that scares poor little Min so much that she holds onto Alfie. Then Bernard’s Mum announces that they are going to play ring-a-ring-o’-roses, and Alfie finds himself in the middle of a situation that does not have any room for his blanket. What is he going to do?
   In this delightful picture book, Shirley Hughes once again tells a story that describes an everyday kind of adventure. She also has her main character, little Alfie, discover that there are times when the needs of others supersede one’s own needs.
   Children who like to listen to audiobooks will be delighted to see that this picture book has a CD that goes with it. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share