Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and seven

So often when we humans go out into the country or the wilderness for a holiday, we are so busy having fun that we fail to notice the animals that are our neighbors. Unless of course they are a nuisance. Then we notice them and complain about them. In today's picture book you will meet a family who go to their summer cabin for a little R and R, and who unknowingly share their vacation space with four very creative bears.

Karel Hayes
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
The Summer VisitorsDown East, 2011, 978-089272918-0
   It is early summer, and the summer visitors are returning to the cabin by the lake. Busily they take their belongings into the cabin, and just as busily their remaining bags, boxes, and packages are being examined by a family of bears outside. In fact, the bears are so taken with some of the things that they find that they carry them off. Later, the human family members sit by the lake under an umbrella enjoying their first day by the water, and around the corner the members of the bear family are having a little picnic and using the things that they ‘borrowed’ from the summer visitors.
   Similarly, after the human family goes sailing during the day, the bear family members borrow the boat, bathing suits, and life vests and go sailing by the light of the moon. Though the summer visitors notice that some odd things are going on, they never understand why a pie and a cake go missing, why their bathing suits are stretched, and why their boat’s sail is all rumpled in the morning.
   This book with its minimal text tells a charming story about a family of bears who like the comforts of life but who are determined to keep their presence a secret. Children are sure to laugh out loud when they see what the bears get up to.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share