Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and ninety-seven

There are certain things that parents don't consider. For example, becasue they were once children, they have a pretty good idea of what their children are doing when they are in school or playing at a friend's house. They know what it is like to be a child. Children on the other hand have no idea what it is like to be a parents or a grownup. What do their grownups do all day? What kinds of things do grownups do for fun?

In today's picture book we go inside the imagination of a little boy who shows us  what he thinks his parents do when he goes away for a night.


Jeanie Franz Ransom
Illustrated by Cyd Moore
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Peachtree Publishers, 2007, 978-1-56145-409-9
   A boy and his little sister are going to spend the night at their grandparent’s house, and as they leave home, they ask their parents, “What are you going to do?” As they drive away, the boy starts to imagine what his parents are doing at home at that moment, and his imagination runs wild!
   First Mom and Dad will jump on the bed with their shoes on. In short, they will do what they are always telling their children “not to do.” Then they go sledding down the stairs on pillows, which is not very good for the pillows. After all this rambunctiousness, they sit and watch the TV “for ages.” They watch all kinds of junk and they sit far too close to the TV screen too.
   While the little boy is drinking lemonade at Grandma’s house, he imagines that his parents are pigging out on waffles, ice cream, and Kool-Aid. In fact, while he and his sister are pursuing wholesome activities with Grandma and Grandpa, Mom and Dad are going crazy!
   It is hard for young children to imagine what their parents do when they are not around. In fact, it is something of a mystery. Now, at last, all is revealed, and children will find out that the truth is just as terribly decadent (and naughty) as they thought it would be.
   Cyd Moore’s lively and amusing illustrations perfectly compliment the text in this delightful story. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share