Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, January 7, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Seven

Many years ago I read a series of books about a little girl who frequently gets into trouble, and who has all kinds of delightful little adventures. These My Naughty Little Sister books became some of my favorite books, and when my daughter was little I bought a set of the books for her. The illustrator of these books is Shirley Hughes, a talented artist and storyteller in her own right. Shirley Hughes has created a lovely set of picture books about a little boy called Alfie and his little sister Annie Rose. Here is one of the Alfie titles. 

Shirley Hughes
Picture Book and Audio CD (Series)
For ages 3 to 6
Random House UK, 2010, 978-1-862-30991-3
   Alfie’s mum and dad are going out for the evening, and Maureen, who is a neighbor, is going to babysit Alfie and his little sister Annie Rose. The evening begins very well. Maureen reads Alfie a story, she tucks him into bed, and then Alfie lies in bed and looks at “the patch of light on the ceiling.
An Evening at Alfie's   Then Alfie hears a noise on the landing, a “drip-drip” sound, and he goes to investigate. He is very surprised when he sees that water is splashing down from the ceiling and there is a puddle on the landing floor. Alfie tells Maureen all about the drip, and when she comes to investigate, the dipping is worse then ever. Maureen and Alfie put buckets and bowls under the drips, and then they call Maureen’s mother. Hopefully she can help.
   Shirley Hughes is the queen of creating picture books in which everyday events are described in an engaging and interesting way. Children will be delighted to watch the way things become more and more chaotic in Alfie’s house as more and more water drips down from the ceiling. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share