Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Eighteen

I consider myself very lucky because I live in a place where we have four seasons. My family and I are able to enjoy the snow in the winter, lovely flower-filled springs, hot and sunny summers, and beautiful red, yellow, and gold falls. For today's picture book I have a seek-and-find title that explores the joys that every month brings.

Stella Blackstone
Illustrated by Maria Carluccio
Picture Book
Ages 3 to 6
Barefoot Books, 2007, 1-905236-71-9
   Let as take a tour of the year, looking at one scene for every month. We will see what people do during that month, and will discover what the world looks like at that time. We will go from the white landscapes of January and February, to a freshly green - and wet - one in April. There are picnics in June, a fair in July, the beginning of school in September, and blowing leaves in November. In a whirl of color and action, the year unfolds before our eyes.
   Collage illustrations that combine paper art and paintings give this picture book a unique look. A simple rhyming text is enhanced by the question "what can you see?" Found on every double page spread, this seek-and-find feature gives the book another dimension. Words at the bottom of the pages can be used to find items in the illustrations, and they will give beginner readers something to challenge and entertain them.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share