Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Sixteen

Children often have a very hard time staying in bed - or at least staying quiet - when they are sick. When they read today's picture book, children will see how one sick rabbit child finds a way to make staying in bed interesting. 

Brigitte Weninger
Illustrated by Eve Tharlet
Translated by Marianne Martens
Picture Book
Ages 6 to 9
North-South books, 2006, 978-0-7358-2048-7
   One day Davy comes up to his mother and he is in tears. He feels horribly sick, and there is nothing for it but for him to go to bed. Davy’s illness has come at a very bad time, because the Rabbit family were planning on going to visit Grandma. Worse still, she is making her “famous” blackberry pies, which are truly delicious.
   Thankfully, Davy’s friend Eddie and his cousin Kiki arrive. Eddie and Kiki offer to stay with Davy so that the rest of the Rabbit family can go to grandma’s house. If Davy has any problems, Eddie can “run home to get his mother.” Mr. and Mrs. Rabbit agree to the plan, though Mrs. Rabbit makes Davy promise that he will “stay in bed.”
   Soon after the family leaves, Davy comes up with an idea. Though his mother said that he had to stay in bed, she did not say “where the bed had to stay.” Without further ado, Kiki and Eddie drag Davy’s bed outside. Davy feels so much better in the fresh air and he begins to wish that they could play down by the stream. Then again, perhaps he can play by the steam after all.
   Sick children stuck in bed will surely enjoy reading about Davy’s bed-bound adventures. They will laugh when they see how Davy keeps his word to his mother and has fun at the same time.
   Eve Tharlet’s delightful illustrations perfectly capture Davy’s sun filled world.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share