Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Fifteen

Many years ago, we lived next to a family who had a large Rottweiler. Henry was on of the sweetest, gentlest and silliest dogs I have ever met. The dog in today's picture book is a lot like Henry. He is a great with children, and he and his little girl share a special bond

Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Book
Ages 4 to 7
Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1998, 0-7374-3480-2
   Carl and his little girl have just woken up from a nap. There is a group of children outside their window, and they want Carl and his little girl to play Follow the Leader with them. They even offer Carl the job of being the leader. In a jiffy, Carl and his little girl are outside, and the game begins with a big stretch, which is what Carl likes to do after a nap.
   Next Carl hops onto a wall and he walks along it, with his little girl on his back and five small children following in his wake. This is then followed by a squirrel chase and then, in town, Carl and the children sit outside the local bakery and beg for a treat, which they get!
   In this wonderful picture book, Alexandra Day tells a charming story using only pictures (except for the two sentences that appear on the first page). She captures Carl’s patience, his good humor, and his love of life. This is a warming picture book that non-readers and readers alike will enjoy exploring.                                                                                                                                                                                                           

No comments:

Bookmark and Share