Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, January 10, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Ten

Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman have created several wonderful picture books for young children. They have given us the Bear books - an enormously popular series of books that have charmed readers of all ages - and also the books about a penguin who is called Little Pip. Here is one of the Little Pip books.

Don't Be Afraid, Little PipKarma Wilson
Illustrated by Jane Chapman
Picture book
Ages 4 to 6
Simon and Schuster, 2008, 978-0-689-85987-8
   Today is a big day for Little Pip and all the other young penguins. Today is the day when they are going to have their first swimming lesson. Little Pip thinks that the ocean looks “awfully dark and deep,” whereas the sky looks “bright and cheerful.” Surely, as she is a bird, she should be learning how to fly and not how to swim?
   Little Pip’s parents reassure her. “Penguins don’t fly, they swim. That’s what makes us special,” they say. Little Pip is not convinced, and while the other little penguins are embarking on their first swimming lesson, Little Pip decides that she is going to learn how to fly. All she needs to do is to find someone who can teach her how to do it. After all, she has wings and feathers, so why can’t she fly like the other birds?
   In this sweet picture book Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman bring back the little penguin who has delighted so many young penguin fans. Children will see that there are times when you just have to conquer your fears. When you do, you might just discover all kinds of new and wondrous things.
   With a meaningful story and wonderful illustrations, this is a picture book that children will appreciate and enjoy. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share