Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Eleven

Being an only child, I never had to share my room or my home with siblings, and for the most part I liked having my own space. When I first moved to the States I had to share a house with five other people, and after a while I honestly thought I was going to lose my marbles. The only space I could call my own was a minuscule attic room that was boiling in summer and freezing in winter.

For today's picture book I have a story about a little rabbit who is thoroughly fed up with having to share his home with numerous brothers and sisters.


Elizabeth Baguley
Illustrated by Jane Chapman
Picture Book
Ages 3 to 6
Tiger Tales, 2008, 1-58925-074-5
   Noah is a little rabbit, and every night he has to sleep in the family burrow with his many siblings. Every night he is “squished and squashed,” and every night his sister Ella holds him as if he were her teddy bear. One night Noah decides that he has had enough, and he goes outside into the fresh air.
   Outside the burrow, Noah meets Albatross. He tells the sympathetic bird about his problems, and to make him feel a little less glum, the big bird tells Noah about “the land of the North Star.” When Noah expresses an interest in seeing a place where there are “no rabbits,” Albatross agrees to take him to see what the frozen North looks like. Neither one of them expects that this journey will help Noah to see his home life in a completely new way.
   Children who are tired of not having their own space will immediately identify with Noah and his situation. With a heartwarming and thought-provoking story, and Jane Chapman’s wonderful illustrations, this is a picture book that will resonate with people of all kinds, big and small. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share