Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Twenty-Two

Many children have a fondness for monsters, and in this book they will meet a very lovable and musical blue monster who is always game for a new adventure. This is the companion title to Dexter Bexley and the Big Blue Beastie

Joel Stewart
Picture book
Ages 4 to 7
Holiday House, 2010, 978-0-8234-2292-0
   One night, Dexter Bexley and the Big Blue Beastie are standing on a roof hooting a horn and a bagpipe. Even when the neighbors tell them to be “Quiet up there!” the two friends cannot help hooting as hard as they can. So, they get thrown out of town and they find themselves in a “deep dark forest” where they can hoot their horn and bagpipes to their heart’s content.
   In the forest, Dexter and the Big Blue Beastie meet a young man called Sir Percy Pecket who needs their help. His “beloved” is asleep in a tower near by, and he wants the two friends to wake her up, which they do very well, to the delight of everybody.
   Sir Percy now wants to marry his princess (yes she is a princess), but he hasn’t slain the “frightful dragon” yet. Apparently, this is a requirement before you can marry a princess.
   In this delightful companion to Dexter Bexley and the Big Blue Beastie, Joel Stewart takes the little boy and his monsterish friend on another wonderfully peculiar adventure. Children are sure to enjoy the surprising ending. Throughout the book, colorful cartoon style art with speech bubbles fill the pages.
   

No comments:

Bookmark and Share