Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Twenty-Nine

Many children love reading about farms and farm animals, and Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin have created a delightful collection of picture books about a group of farm animals that are led by a very intelligent and sneaky duck. Duck is always finding ways to get the better of humans, and in today's picture book, he once again has the last laugh. I have reviewed several of the other books in this collection including Click Clack Moo, Dooby Dooby Moo, Duck for President, and Thump, Quack Moo. Most of these titles are available as picture books and board books.
Giggle, Giggle, QuackDoreen Cronin
Illustrated by Betsy Lewin
Picture Book
Ages 4 to 7
Simon and Schuster, 2002, 978-1416903499
   Farmer Brown is going on a vacation, and his brother Bob is going to take care of the farm animals while Farmer Brown is gone. Farmer Brown tells his brother that he has written instructions for him, and he warns Bob “to keep an eye on Duck. He’s trouble.”
   When Bob goes into the house, he finds a note that tells him that “Tuesday night is pizza night.” Being the kind of fellow who believes what he reads, Bob has twenty-nine pizzas delivered, and the farm animals have a feast.
   The next day Bob finds a note saying that Wednesday is “bath day for the pigs.” Thinking that the note is from his brother, Bob gives the pigs a wonderful bath. On Thursday, there is another note telling Bob that Thursday night is movie night and that “it’s the cows turn to pick.” Bob should be keeping a sharp eye on Duck, as his brother recommended, because he is being taken for a ride.
   Readers who like to have a good laugh, will find that this book is just what they need. Readers will love the way the farm animals manipulate the humans in their lives. Using their wits, they find ways to get what they want, on their terms. You can help cheering Duck and his friends on.
   Readers who enjoy this book should take a look at the other books in this collection.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share