Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, January 17, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Seventeen

I have never been camping in a place where there were bears, though my husband and his sister have. They have described how they had to hang their food in a tree to discourage bear visits, though they did not tell me what they would have done to scare off a bear if one had come sniffing around. Just in case you ever need to scare a bear, here is a book that might help.

Kathy-jo Wargin
Illustrated by John Bendall-Brunello
Picture Book
Ages 4 to 6
Sleeping Bear Press, 2010,
   Staying in little cabins in the woods during the summer vacation is something many children enjoy doing. There are so many activities to try, and adventures to have. There is one problem though. What should one do if a bear comes into camp? How do you scare a bear?
   Will the bear go away if you bang pots and pans, if you yell, or if you ring a “loud bell?” What if a bear isn’t easy to scare? What if loud noises and “big scary” poses have no effect on the bear at all. What if the bear decides to stay in the camp to swim, to fish, to have dinner, to sit by the campfire, and even – what a thought – to spend the night!
   This delightful picture book with its rhyming text and its amusing illustrations, will charm young readers who have an active imagination and who enjoy a good laugh.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share