Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Thirteen

As the mother of a daughter, I am always looking for books that have strong female characters who are intelligent, and who serve as a good bookish role model. Today's picture book is about a little girl who happily walks in the footsteps of great women from history.

Jennifer Fosberry
Illustrated by Mike Litwin
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Sourcebooks, 2010, 978-1-4022-4390-0
   When Isabella wakes up one morning, she decides that her name is not Isabella. She tells her mother that she is Sally, “the greatest toughest astronaut who ever was!” The little girl’s mother goes along with this, inviting “Sally” to don her spacesuit and to come downstairs for breakfast.
   At the breakfast table, Sally explains that her name is not Sally at all. Now she is Annie, “The greatest, fastest sharpshooter who ever was.” Being the kind of mother who understands a young girl’s thought processes, the ever patient mother invites “Annie” to come to eat the “fine vittles” that are waiting on the table. Who will Isabella/Sally/Annie become next?
   In this clever and meaningful picture book, we meet a little girl who imagines what it would be like to be great women from history. She also has a little surprise up her sleeve for “the greatest, sweetest mother who ever was.” Young readers will see how this one little girl aspires to be an important person when she grows up, and how the women she pretends to be teach her what it means to be a sweet, kind, smart, brave, fast, tough, and great person.
   To compliment the message in the story, the author provides her readers with information about the five famous women from history who are part of Isabella’s story. 

1 comment:

Terry Doherty said...

We've read and loved this clever take on biography. But I really stopped by to say that I'm enjoying this series. There are so many books I don't know!

Bookmark and Share