Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

April 25th is World Penguin Day!


April 25th is world penguin day, and in honor of this day I have a review for you about a very special penguin who had a rather extraordinary adventure.

Pierre the Penguin: A True Story
Jean Marzollo
Illustrated by Laura Regan
Nonfiction picture book
Ages 3 to 7
Sleeping Bear Press, 2010, 978-1-58536-485-5
   In a big museum, at the end of the Africa Hall, there is a display of live penguins. Unlike their cousins who live in cold regions, these African penguins like warm temperatures. One day Pam, an aquatic biologist, notices that one of the penguins who is called Pierre is “in a jam.” He has lost most of his feathers and he looks very unhappy and very cold. To make matters worse, Pierre’s odd appearance frightens the other penguins who bray at him.
   Wanting to help Pierre, Pam comes up with an idea which she discusses with the vet. Would it be possible for Pierre to wear a wetsuit so that he isn’t so cold and odd looking?
   This delightful tale tells the true story of Pierre, a penguin who lost his feathers and who was in dire straits until a scientist came up with a unique solution for his problem. With amusing rhymes and delightful illustrations, the hope-filled story in this book will warm readers hearts.


You can find more reviews of books about penguins here on the TTLG website. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share