Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Professor Garfield Foundation


I recently ran across a website that I would like to share it with you. It is a learning portal created by the Professor Garfield Foundation. Here is a little information about the foundation:

The Professor Garfield Foundation learning portal is a fun interactive online environment where children can safely explore, learn and creatively express themselves. The Foundation (PGF) was formed in 2003 as a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization to provide children, parents, and teachers an opportunity to enhance and support classroom learning in new and innovative ways.
Who Runs It?
The PGF Learning Portal is a partnership between Paws, Inc., the world headquarters of Garfield the Cat, and Ball State University, one of the preeminent educators of classroom teachers in the world. 
Why a Learning Portal?
For over 25 years, Garfield creator, Jim Davis, has been encouraged by countless letters from parents telling him how Garfield has helped their child learn how to read. Numerous educators have also used Garfield and his comic strip friends as a powerful tool to teach and motivate children in the classroom. As a result, Jim has long held that the comics be not only a way to a child’s heart and funny bone, but also a student’s brain.
Jim’s vision was to create a learning portal where children would want to visit because they would have fun, express themselves, and learn simultaneously.
Content ranges from traditional subjects, such as reading, writing and arithmetic, to career goal exploration, art and activities created expressly for kids with LDs.
Our partners include some of the finest corporate, technological, and educational organizations in the world including Ball State University, the Charles and Helen Schwab Learning Foundation, Pearson, Scholarship America and The National Institutes of Health.
Who is Professor Garfield For?
PGF offers fun, engaging and transforming educational content for school children between kindergarten and 8th grade. The educational content is upgraded continuously and presented in a popular culture entertainment format. All of the content has been reviewed by educational experts and tested in classroom settings.

There are all kinds of wonderful things on the site. If you have a small child or children in your house you might like to take a look at the free toon e-books that they have online. Your children can have the books read to them, and they can choose from five languages.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share