Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, April 26, 2010

April is Save the Environment Month on TTLG - A revview

Here is another book for TTLG's Save the Environment Month. 
Allison Inches
Illustrated by Viviana Garofoli
Picture Book
Ages 4 to 6
Simon and Schuster, 2010, 9781416995142
   One day Max, the Little Green Monster, goes to the beach to have a picnic. Max loves the ocean, but he does not like having to clean up his picnic things. Then Max goes snorkeling, and instead of seeing fish and other ocean creatures, all he sees are pieces of trash. How can anyone enjoy the ocean if it is full of plastic bottles, old tires, and broken toys?
   There and then Max decides to clean up the trash from his picnic so that it does not end up in the ocean. However he doesn’t stop there. Soon he is picking up other people’s trash as well, and he decides that he needs to do more to make sure that the ocean stays clean.
   This amusing little book will introduce children to the idea that we all need to do our part to keep our environment trash-free. With the funny green monster as their guide, children will discover that many of their actions can impact the environment in unexpected ways, but at the same time there are things that they can do to make the world a cleaner, healthier, and more beautiful place.
   A glossary at the back of the book provides young readers with more information about the topics discussed in the book.


Don't forget that there are many other titles about Saving the Environment on the TTLG website. 
Bookmark and Share