Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, March 7, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Sixty-Six

Lately the news has been full of stories about people demonstrating in the streets of cities in Egypt, Libya and other countries in the Middle East. Again and again we have heard about how the people in these countries are saying NO to their governments and leaders. They are no longer  willing to tolerate governments and leaders who refuse to listen to their demands. They refuse to be bullied and pushed around.

Today's picture book is about a little boy who says no. It is powerful and conveys a message that readers of all ages will appreciate


No!David McPhail
Wordless Picture Book
For ages 5 and up
Roaring Brook, 2009, 978-1-59643-288-8
   A little boy has written a letter to the president and he is now ready to post it. He puts on his coat, hat, and mittens, and he walks down the street to the post box. As he is walking down the street, military aircraft fly overhead and they bomb some houses on a hill nearby. Then a tank drives up the street and it blows up on of the houses. Soldiers march past and as they boy watches, they break into a house, terrifying the people who live inside.
   Further down the street, the little boy sees that a big boy is leaning against the postbox. The big boy knocks off his hat and is about to strike him when the little boy says “No!” He is not going to tolerate another act of aggression. He is putting his foot down.
   We live in a world where there is so much bullying. We see it in schools and we see it on the national and international level. In this picture book, David McPhail uses one word (the only word in the book) to show readers of all ages that we don’t have to tolerate bullying. We can say “NO!” and show that we are not going to put up with violence any longer. With its empowering message of hope and David McPhail’s wonderful illustrations, this is a book that will resonate with readers of all ages. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share