Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, March 14, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Seventy-Three

Being a knitter myself, I am drawn to books about knitting. I have reviewed many nonfiction titles that show young people how to knit. Today's picture book is about an owl who gets the knitting bug in a big way. Her passion for the craft is such that she creates some very unusual knitted items.

Holly Clifton-Brown
Picture Book
Ages 5 to 8
Andersen Press USA, 2010, 978-0-7613-6444-3
   Annie Hoot is a little owl who has a new craze: knitting. Annie knits colorful sweaters, hats, scarves, socks, and other garments. In fact, her knitted creations are so colorful that the other owls refuse to wear them because they “don’t want to look different from the other owls.”
   Poor Annie decides to leave her home to see if she can find some animals who will want to wear her “nifty knitwear.” She knits herself a hot air balloon and sails across the skies to a rainforest. Quickly Annie sets about knitting umbrellas and boots for the local tropical birds so that they can remain dry during the frequent rain showers. Unfortunately, her creations are not waterproof, and they sag dreadfully. The birds suggest that Annie should go to the African plains. The animals in this part of the world “get chilly at night,” they tell the little owl. So off Annie goes, sailing away in a little wooden boat. Perhaps Africa is the right place for her.
   In this charming picture book, Holly Clifton-Brown tells the story of a little owl whose creative genius is not appreciated. Thankfully, there are some animals who treasure her creations, and when Annie finally goes home, she gets a wonderful surprise.
   With delightful illustrations throughout, this picture book is a tribute to all artists who dare to be true to their muse. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share