Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Eighty-One

Sometimes, despite everything we try to do to avoid it, an animal finds a way to touch our hearts and enter our lives. This is the story about a little dog who manages to win the heart of a writer who really believes that she does not need a dog.

Karel Hayes
Picture Book
Ages 4 to 7
Down East, 2010, 978-089272-850-3
Harriet lives in a little log house in a village in the north. One snowy winter day, Harriet is trying to finish the book she is writing. For some reason the ending refuses to work out right, and Harriet is soon surrounded by balled up pieces of paper. Then Harriet receives a phone call from her friend Monique. Monique has a little puppy that she wants Harriet to take. Monique has been trying for years to get Harriet to take one of her dogs. Though Harriet really does not want a dog, she agrees to take the puppy for a week.
   Soon the puppy, Snowflake, is happily ensconced in Harriet’s home. She has a few accidents of course, and she loves to chew and play with scarves, slippers, mittens, papers, “and even a dictionary.” Harriet doesn’t let Snowflake sleep in her bed, but everywhere else she goes, Snowflake goes with her. All goes well until Snowflake does the unforgiveable; she chews up Harriet’s book manuscript!
   This charming picture book is based on the true story of the author’s relationship with her own dog Snowy. With charming pictures and an engaging narrative, this is a picture book that will resonate with dog lovers of all ages. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share