Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Eighty-Five

Many of us have heroes that we admire and look up to. In today's picture book you are going to meet a little chick who has a deep admiration for a superhero called Wonder Pug. He never dreams that he might meet Wonder Pug in person, so you can imagine how he feels when he comes across a napping pug dog. 

Chick 'n' PugJennifer Sattler
Picture book
For ages 5 to 7
Bloomsbury, 2010, 978-1-59990-534-1
Chick is a huge fan of a book called The Adventures of Wonder Pug. In fact, he has read the book 127 times! Deciding that life in a chicken coop is too tame for him, Chick sets off to find a little excitement.
   Chick is thrilled when he finds “a real, live Wonder Pug” lying on the ground fast asleep. Chick cannot believe his luck, and he patiently waits for his hero to wake up. Eventually Chick gets a little tired of waiting, and he decides that “even a hero needs a wake-up call” every now and then.
   The pug is not very enthusiastic about being woken up, and he certainly is not in the mood to have an adventure. Anxiously Chick waits for his hero to do something heroic. What is the pug waiting for? Should Chick take the initiative?
   This funny picture book will delight young readers who wish that they could meet their favorite super hero. They will see that there are times - if you want a little excitement - when it is necessary to channel your own inner super hero.
   With wonderful illustrations and loveable characters, this book is sure to become a firm favorite with young readers. Who can resist a dozy pug and a chick with the heart of a Wonder Pug!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share