Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, April 1, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Ninety-One

Finding the courage to stick your neck out and be who you are, fashion-wise, is not easy. Many of us would rather fade into the background and not get noticed. Today you are going to meet a little girl who is determined to find a hairstyle that is different and memorable. 

Kate Hosford
Illustrations by Holly Clifton-Brown
Picture book
For ages 5 to 7
Lerner, 2011, 978-0-7613-5409-3
   It is the first day of school, and Annabelle is much disheartened when she sees that the girls in her class all have “ponytails and braids.” She decides that what her class needs is “some fashion” and “some fun,” so she sets out to find a hairdo that will bring a little pizzazz into her classroom.
   When she gets home, Annabelle notices a photograph of her grandmother who has “a marvelous tower of hair.” Annabelle begs her mother to arrange her hair in a bouffant that is as big as possible. Her mother responds by creating several other dos for Annabelle, none of which satisfy the little girl. Clearly, if she wants a bouffant, she is going to have to “do it myself,” which is when Annabelle finds out that it is not easy to create a bouffant that does not fall down, slip, or tip. Who knew that it would be so hard to create a fashionable hairstyle.
   This charming picture book with its delightful rhymes and its unique multimedia illustrations, is a tribute to all those young people who have the courage to be different and creative. They dare to follow their inclinations, and make the world a more colorful and interesting place in the process. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share