Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and fourteen

I have a special fondness for picture books that have detailed artwork. Today's picture book is just such a title. It has artwork that you will want to explore for a while, and interesting page features that children will like. The story is charming, and perfectly touched with magic.

Lieve Baeten
Picture book
For ages 4 to 7
North South, 2011, 978-0-7358-4004-1
   Lizzy the Little Witch has a friend called Trixie staying with her for the night, and Lizzy is reading Trixie (who is a very small witch indeed) a story. In the story, this is a Witch Princess who rides around on a magic carpet. Inspired by the story, Lizzy casts a spell on her carpet, and to her delight the spell works. Under the light of a full moon, the carpet carries Lizzy and Trixie “off into the night.”
   After flying for quite a while, they see a caravan moving across the countryside below. The witches swoop down to investigate, hoping that they will find something to eat. Caravan Witch is delighted to see the two young witches, and she not only feeds them, but she also gives them a little show as well.
   After bidding Caravan Witch goodbye, the witches fly on, soaring over mountains and the river. Below them, the witches see a light shining out into the darkness. Trixie really needs to go to the bathroom, so they fly down towards the river and soon they see Boat Witch sitting on her strange witch craft. Hopefully she will be able to help them.
   With wonderfully detailed illustrations and interesting novelty features on the pages, this Little Witch title is sure to charm young readers who like adventures that have a magical element. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share