Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and seventeen

In the early nineties I worked part time in an after school program in a public school in Washington DC. One of the things my kids loved was story time because I would go to the library or the book store to get books that I thought would amuse them. The little ones would always rush to sit on the floor (or in my lap) for story time, and over time I noticed that the 'big' kids would also drift over trying not to look as if they were listening.

One of the books that the kids loved was Imogene's Antlers by David Small. Once the story was read, the children liked to guess what was going to happen next, and they would often draw pictures of Imogene with her odd animal appendages.

David Small
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Random House, 2010, 978-0-375-81048-0
   One morning Imogene wakes up to discover that she has grown a pair of very large antlers during the night. Getting dressed and getting through doorways takes careful thought, and when Imogene’s mother sees the antlers she faints.
   The family doctor is called, and he says that there is nothing medically wrong with Imogene. The school principal comes over and he glares at Imogene, but he has no advice to offer either. When Imogene’s little brother announces that Imogene has turned into a “rare form of miniature elk” Imogene’s mother faints. Again.
   Though her parents are very upset, the cook and kitchen maid quite like the antlers, finding a number of uses for them. Perhaps it won’t be so bad having antlers.
   First published in 1985, this book has become a much loved classic. Children and their families love reading about the hilarious situation that Imogene finds herself in, and they certainly have a good laugh when they come to the surprising ending. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share