Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book One hundred!

This is the one hundredth picture book review for the TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration! Just as I expected, this journey has been, for the most part, a very interesting and enjoyable one. I have reviewed some fabulous books and have met some wonderful authors and illustrators. Of course there are those times when writing a picture book review every single day can be a bit of a trial - on occasion. You could say that doing this projects has its ups and its downs, though the downs are of very little consequence.
   Todays picture book is full of ups and downs as fortunate and unfortunate situations fill the pages. The story offers readers a singular and often amusing reading experience.


Michael Foreman
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 8
Andersen Press USA, 2011, 978-0-7613-7460-2
   One day Milo’s mother asks him to go to Granny’s house to return her umbrella. It is a lovely day outside and Milo’s Granny always has cake to eat, so Milo is more than happy to return the umbrella. Unfortunately, it starts to rain, but since Milo has Granny’s umbrella with him, he does not get wet.
   Milo is so busy holding the umbrella over his head so that he doesn’t get wet, that he does not pay attention to where he is going, and he falls off a cliff. Luckily, the umbrella serves as an excellent parachute, but unluckily Milo lands in the open mouth of a whale and he is swallowed.
   Fortunately, Granny’s umbrella floats very well and Milo can use it as a boat. Unfortunately, Milo is not the only thing the whale has swallowed. There is a pirate ship full of pirates in there as well!
    In this clever picture book, Michael Foreman takes his readers on a singular adventure that is full of fortunate and unfortunate events. Though Milo does face some situations that are not altogether welcome, on the whole his adventure is a wonderfully positive experience. Children will love the ending, which leaves one wondering what might happen next.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share