Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: One hundred and four

Not long ago I met a woman who told me about this man whom she liked. He was charming, sweet, kind, intelligent, and devoted to her. I congratulated her on finding such a wonderful person, which is when she told me that she didn't think he was "the one" because he wasn't "cute looking." I smiled, moved on, and sighed.

Today's picture book is about a moose who is not the most gorgeous moose in the forest, but whose courage and big heart earns him the love of a lady moose whom he adores.

Dennis Haseley
Illustrated by Steven Kellogg
The Invisible MoosePicture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Penguin, 2006, 978-0142410660
   There once was a shy young male moose who was in love with a beautiful and kind lady moose. Many of the male moose “tried to win her hoof” by fighting in front of her, but the shy moose had twisted antlers, and he felt that he had no chance with the beautiful moose.
   One day the shy moose finally got up the courage to talk to the object of his affection, but before he could say anything meaningful, a huge machine arrived on the scene and the wild-animal trapper driving the machine kidnapped the girl moose. The tough male moose tried to rescue her, but they were shot at by hunters, and they had to retreat into the safety of the woods. The young moose was not willing to give up though. He saw that the big machine was going to a place called New York City and he decided that he would go to this place too.
   The shy moose consulted Professor Owl McFowl who explained that New York City was a “faraway place” to the south. The young moose would never be able to get to the city unless he was invisible, which the Professor is able to arrange. Now invisible from his nose to his tail, the young moose sets off to save his beloved.
   This heartwarming and often funny picture book explores the idea that true courage comes in all shapes and sizes, and that beauty comes from within.. You don’t have to look like a hero to be one, nor do you have to be handsome or beautiful to be lovable. In fact, you can be completely invisible and still have a true heart. With Steven Kellogg’s wonderful illustrations throughout, this is a picture book that tells a wonderful story while conveying a meaningful message.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An interesting premise! I'm sure Kellogg's illustrations are wonderful as usual.

Bookmark and Share