Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and eighteen

There are certain authors and illustrators who are favorites of mine. When I see one of their books in a shop or in a publisher's catalogue, I do my best to get a copy. One of these people is Quentin Blake. Blake is well known for illustrating the books written by Roald Dahl, but he has also written many books of his own including Mr. Magnolia and today's picture book.

Quentin Blake
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Random House UK, 2010, 978-1-849-41046-5
   Long ago a boy called Angelo lived in Italy with his mother, father, and three brothers. The family travelled around the country, all their worldly possessions in a covered cart. When they got to a village, Angelo’s father and his big brothers would build a stage, and when everything was ready, the family members would put on a show. Angelo’s big brothers would do “marvelous balancing tricks,” his father would play the guitar and sing, and then Angelo would do very popular his tight rope act.
   One day Angelo saw that one of the people watching him perform was not smiling “like everyone else.” Instead, the girl looking out of a second floor window was crying. The girl, Angelina, explained that she wished so much that she could travel around the country like Angelo did. She had a miserable life living with her cruel uncle. She was sure that she would be trapped in her uncle’s home “for ever.” Luckily for Angelina, Angelo has an idea.
   In this charming picture book, Britain’s first Children’s Laureate gives readers a tale that is entertaining and heart warming. With its feel-good happy ending and its wonderful illustrations, this is a picture book Quentin Blake fans will want to add to their collection.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share