Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book two hundred and seventy-four

Being able to do magic is something many children dream about. I used to know a little boy who kept trying to find a way to magically make his little brother disappear! Thankfully he never succeeded. Today I have a delightful picture book for you that is about a little boy who thinks he can do magic.

Ole Konnecke
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Gecko Press, 2011, 978-1-877467-37-0
   Anton is a little boy and he has a magic hat. Actually it is a magic turban, but as far as Anton is concerned it is a hat.
   One day Anton decides to do some magic. He tries to make a tree disappear, but his spell does not work. Deciding that perhaps he was being overambitious, Anton decides to make a bird disappear. As he is casting his spell, Anton’s hat slips over his eyes, and when he repositions it, he discovers that miracle of miracles, his disappearing spell has worked!
   Anton’s friend Luke walks up, and Anton tells him that he can make things disappear. Not surprisingly, Luke does not believe Anton, so Anton does his magic, his hat slips down over his eyes, and when he lifts it back into place Luke is gone. At first Anton is thrilled. Then he realizes that “Luke shouldn’t disappear.” How is Anton going to bring his friend back?
   In this delightful book, the author combines minimal art with an engaging story to give children a memorable bookish experience that will delight and amuse them. Readers will love the way in which circumstances make it appear that Anton is able to do magic, and how, in the end, everything works out.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share